Friday, January 6, 2017

Comfort

  Okay, so I had kind of an epiphany this week about comfort. As long as I have known my husband he has, every time he feels stressed or upset, he would place his hands on his head and sigh. He's been very sick lately. He has a neurological condition that we are still in the process of finding a diagnosis for. (Every doctor we have talked to said that his symptoms all indicate something neurological) And I mentioned to our psychologist, who is helping us with our dysfunction (which I have openly discussed in prior posts) and she explained that at the top of our heads is a deep pressure point that is a physical comfort when gentle pressure is placed there. I also know that when a preemie baby is in distress a gently placed hand on their head can be a great comfort to them.
It was interesting that while observing people around me (in daily life) I have seen people in many different situations take this stance.
  My thinking was kind of an observation about how God, my Heavenly Father, knows this about us. In my religion when a blessing is offered for sickness, stress, or comfort for whatever is needed, even our newborn babies blessings, given by the father who is surrounded by family and friends all have something in common... the hands are always placed gently on the head during the prayer (blessing). I know this is a minor point, but it is a thought that has brought me some comfort.
  We forget that God is the one who made us, gave us life, knows us like no other can. He knows what comforts us. He knows what makes us happy, sad, angry. He knows that we will struggle in countless ways in this life. He knows us and what we might forget is that he loves us. Greater than any parent can love a child, during this life at least, and as a parent myself... I can tell you that I am the most literal mother bear when it comes to love, care, and protection of my children.
Something else that people forget is that it is not just the plan of salvation... it is the plan of happiness. I do believe that God loves us. I believe that he wants nothing more than for us to grow, love, and laugh... not to mention reach our full potential, but I also know that Satan wants nothing but our sorrow, misery, and failure. God does not cause bad to happen, but there are bad things that have to happen for our eternal growth; things that will test our faith and determination to do right in this life. That said,  I also believe that he will NEVER ask us to suffer more than we can handle. He knows our limits, but he also wants us to trust him, have faith in him, and grow in ways that we don't even know we can.  How many times have you heard that hindsight is 20/20? How many things have you, a family member or a friend survived and come out the other side better? How many of us come out worse? If we are worse... did we honestly search for God's message in our situation and life?
  God wants to comfort us. He wants us to be happy. He wants us to succeed. He wants us to reach our potential. He wants us to come home with the reward he know we can receive when we return "home".
  My thought is... that God, my father in heaven, wants me to be happy, but because of what we are going to face during this life... he wants us to be comforted.
Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. That was really interesting and eye opening, really well written too mom! I genuinely loved that.

    ReplyDelete