Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Holocaust Documentaries


These are two documentaries that I have watched recently on Netflix.  They are amazing stories.  My Aunt and Uncle grew up during the war in Germany, and my mother was born there during that time.  My grandparents left Germany when my mother was nine years old.  I will not begin to speculate on their motives or anything of that manner, but I have always had a fascination with that time in our history.  It was horrific and criminal, but learning about survivors and their stories inspires me. I love to learn about the lives of others. We have so much to learn from each other, if we are willing to listen.  It is shocking to me what people can survive.  We all have something to learn.  I hate, "hate" and I just plain wish it did not exist.  There are so many stupid reason that people hate each other. Underneath it all we are just the same.  If you dissect us... we are all the same.  Why do we get so hung up and mean over our differences such as skin color, appearance, religion, all of that?  I just don't understand it.  Maybe I'm weird that way, but I tend to judge people on how they behave more than what they look like... now I will not say that I am not shocked or do a double take every now and then, but I tend not to leave it at that.  My next thought is usually... I wonder what they are like, and why they made that decision... etc.  Now that is not to say that some people are just plain creepy, or scary... there are those in our society with deprivation, and malice in their hearts.  I think we spot them "mostly" because it is our inner warning to avoid them.
My question is why do we love entertainers who are unique, out there, different, have a special sound, look, or attitude?  Why do we love celebrities who have that something that makes them stand out if it is such a bad thing to be different?  Why do we try so hard to be like everyone else?  We are often so desperate to fit in, and I think that it is because we are terrified of being alone and forgotten.  But does that make it our right to belittle others, persecute others, or make anyone feel bad about who they are?
Maybe that came from me having two special needs children.  When you get to know people who have "different abilities", handicaps, or limitations you kind of have to get over how they look and look at their hearts.  Special needs people are the last group of people to get any sort of respect, or acceptance, and unless you let yourself see into their hearts... you just won't get it.  They are angels on earth.  They are purer and more innocent than any of us, and yet I have heard the sorts of things that people say to them, "the bullies of the world" and often it is unbelievable what comes out of their mouths.  I have seen hatred and intolerance.  I have witnessed ugliness, and to me that is the worst sort of hatred.
 The Holocaust moves me, and it saddens me to my core.  It bewilders me (that it could have happened at all). It was a time in history that I worry we did not learn from.  We are doing nothing to stop the horrors that are happening in this world even today.  Why?  Why?  I don't understand.  Why do we allow anyone to kill in the name of intolerance?  When did this become acceptable? Why is it allowed?
We jump into the mob mentality so easily.  If there is something or someone who is considered "not cool" or is socially mandatory in order for us to fit in we shoot it down.  We make you feel bad and we persecute you.  We have a way of just making your life generally miserable.  Why?
If you think its nuts to be religious... you think it's okay to mock and declare that Jesus is an "imaginary friend".  If you think the only way you can have fun is to be drunk or high, everyone else is stupid, lame, and a loser.  I don't get it.  We waste so much energy hating on so many level and for so many reasons.  I just don't get it. If you want proof of that state anything in support of the unpopular on facebook and watch the claws and horrible, hate filled comments fly.  I have witnessed great... spitting... venomous debates flair up on facebook over the most minor of opinions.  It is crazy to me.  It is as if people lay in wait for the words to be said so they can attack.
WHY DO WE DO IT?
My point of all of this is... life is too short, hate sucks, and there is just too much pain inflicted willingly in the world.  If I think about it too much... well I just can't... it crumbles me inside, but it felt good to make my point.  If you don't agree, or think I am lame... frankly... that is your problem, not mine.  I have a voice and in our country we have defended the freedom of speech that allows me the opportunity (that I am glad and grateful to have) to say what I feel I should.  So if you read this far, "Thank You."  If you think I suck, I'm sorry you feel that way, but thank you never the less.  I do appreciate your time.  I just thought that someone had to start the conversation.  I hope that I did.
Have a great day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment