Saturday, July 4, 2015

Laughter is the best medicine


  Okay, so my kids crack me up... my daughter (12) was zinging my other daughter (20) when she called her on my husbands phone and when she got her voicemail she said, "Hello, this is Tia... I'm to busy being lazy to answer my phone right now... leave a message after the beep."
She is the kind of kid that sometimes it takes a moment to realize that she has zinged you.  I love my kids, they have such a great sense of humor.  I love listening to them playing together in the other rooms.  They have great laughs too.  They are wonderful to listen to.  They lift my spirits.  I am blessed that my entire family has such a wonderful sense of humor.   We all have it.
Just a funny fact about me is that I especially love British humor.  Keeping Up Appearances, Fawlty Towers, Are you being Served, Dad's Army, The Thin Blue Line, Mr. Bean, The Vicar of Dibley, and Black Adder for example.  For me, it is not what someone says, as much as how they say it.  The Brits are just so dang funny.
My husband is hysterical, though you might not know it to look at him.  He stands as an imposing figure, but really he is so funny.  Isn't that the best way to survive life though?  Humor is the best medicine... and all that.  We have needed it in ours... that is for sure.
I think that was something that won my heart almost immediately when I met my husband.  He made me laugh all the time.  He is also handsome, which doesn't hurt.  He is a major support in my life.  He loves me and enjoys making me laugh and when we have those moments I feel so much closer to him.  Life often throws stones onto your path, but you need to have people around you that make you feel good about yourself, and are willing to help you hurdle those stones.
I love nothing more than having someone around who you don't have to talk to, or entertain just because you are in the same room.  My family is like that, and we just like to be in each other's company.  They never make me feel like I have to be "on".  You know what I mean?  Some people make you feel like you have to smile a little wider, laugh a little more, make you feel nervous, and like if your hair, makeup, style, or profession are just not enough.  I hate that.  I have tried to eliminate those people from my life, which has pretty much left me alone with myself and my family.  Some days that sucks, but honestly, I've sacrificed for friendship in the past, and I still ended up lost and alone.  Deep down I am really okay with that though.  I have my family and ultimately that's what matters most.  I guess this is why I like doing this blog.  I get a chance to be myself and say what I feel without judgement, at least not too much judgement... I hope.
Anyway, do what you love and find ways to laugh... not to say that a good cry does not help sometimes too.  Maybe that is just something that only women do, however, it can be very cathartic in it's own right.  But if you know what just busts you up, makes you smile (even when you don't realize you are smiling), or just lifts you up... do that!
Just a suggestion, look up the Carol Burnette Show on YouTube.  You might be to young to know who she is, but the bits they do are so dang funny.  I especially love the moments when the actors are trying very hard not to laugh, and you can see their struggle.  They do that a lot.  It is too funny.  It just busts me up.
Whatever finds your funny bone... let it be a part of your day.  It takes less muscles to smile than it does to frown.  Just saying.  Try to have some fun today. 

1 comment:

  1. Happy 4th of July Gail! I loved this post. You are one of the strongest women I know. I am so blessed to have met you and gotten to know you. I miss you guys! And your wonderful smile and laughter. Don't ever forget how amazing you really are.
    Your friend for life,
    Lisa Symonds

    ReplyDelete